What is a Residential Pick-up / Delivery service?
A business is defined as a location that opens and closes to the general public at set times each day. You may be considered a residence if you are located in a residential zone, even if you open and close at set times. Schools, colleges, and churches located in residential zones may also incur residential fees, or special delivery fees. If pick-up and/or drop-off locations meet the residential area criteria, a Residential Pick-up and/or Delivery Service must be mentioned at the time of your freight quote and must be purchased at the time your shipment order is placed with Alliance Air Freight. If the driver is required to go inside (beyond the front door or loading dock) to pickup or deliver a shipment instead of remaining on the dock or in his truck, additional fees may be applied.
What is a liftgate and when do I need one?
When the shipping or receiving address does not have a loading dock, manual loading or unloading is necessary. A liftgate is an elevator like device at the back of certain trucks which can raise and lower a shipment from the ground to the truck. Liftgate service is always used on freight exceeding 120 lbs in weight, and with fragile freight shipments or freight shipments with large dimensions, if a loading dock or forklift is not available. If freight weight exceeds 120lbs and loading dock is not available at pick-up and/or drop-off locations, a lifgate service must be mentioned at the time your freight quote or freight rate is given. If it is not mentioned and one is needed, added charges will apply on your freight invoice.
Are there any delivery locations, besides a residence which can incur additional freight charges?
- Yes there can be additional charges for the following pick up & deliveries:
- Military Site
- School / College
- Church / Synagogue
- Inside (beyond front door)
- Limited Access Locations
- Any delivery/pick up which requires the driver to be their prior to close of business day
- Construction Site
- Convention / Trade Show
Are freight shipping transit times guaranteed?
Freight shipping transit times are guaranteed only if noted on the bill of lading. For freight rate purposes, if a freight shipping transit time needs to be guaranteed it should be mentioned at the time of the freight quote or freight rate. Getting a freight quote or freight rate which includes a guarantee for the freight shipping transit time, does not mean a shipment will travel as a guaranteed shipment. Only if guaranteed delivery is noted on the bill of lading will a shipment be recognized as a guaranteed shipment.All other transit times are reliable, but not guaranteed. If a shipment is not noted guaranteed on the bill of lading and arrives outside the transit time specified, the freight bill will be reflected to match the transit time which was received. Transit times do not include the day of pickup and are counted by business days.
What is dimensional weight?
Dimensional weight is based on the freight shipment’s density. It is a standard measurement used throughout the freight industry to determine freight charges. Freight shipment charges are always based on the greater of the two: either the gross weight of the shipment or the dimensional weight of the shipment; whichever is greater. For example, dimensional weight would exceed the actual weight of a very large box filled with ping pong balls.
Alliance Air Freight Freight uses a standard 194 factor for calculating dimensional weight for all domestic shipments. For international freight shipping a standard 166 is used. The formula for calculating Dimensional Weight is
Dim Weight=(Length * Width * Height) / 194 (or 166 for international shipments)
What is a freight class?
Different types of products have different freight shipping costs associated with them. The motor carrier industry defines products being shipped according to certain characteristics: density, stowability, handling and liability. Each definition, or description, is called a freight classification.
A shipment`s freight class is needed in order to calculate freight charges. Usually shippers who frequently send freight shipments by ltl will know the class of their freight. Additionally, there is a reference called the National Motor Freight Classification (NMFC) to determine classes for freight rating purposes.
What is an attempted pick up / delivery?
An attempted pick up / delivery occurs when the freight driver attempts load or unload the freight and the location is closed during business hours (9 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.). When this occurs additional freight charges will be applied to the freight rate or freight quote which was given.
What is a haz mat shipment?
A haz mat shipment is a shipment which contains products which they themselves contain hazardous materials. Some examples are as follows:
- Flammable gas
- Non-flammable compressed gas
- Poisonous gas
- Flammable liquid
- Combustible liquid
- Flammable solid
- Spontaneously combustible material
- Dangerous when wet material
- Organic peroxide
- Poisonous materials
- Infectious substance
- Radioactive material
- Corrosive material
What is the claims process?
TRANSPORTATION DAMAGE CLAIMS PROCESSING
Transportation damage claims processing requires that all transportation
claim files include the following documentation:
1. A copy of a properly noted and signed Delivery Receipt for the shipment showing the status of the delivery.
2. A copy of the carrier paid freight bill to prove that the freight charges are paid. Freight charges must be paid in full before a claim can be resolved. If the product is desired back at the shippers location, the freight charges will also need to be paid for the freight to be returned.
3. A copy of the vendor invoice reflecting the cost of the product (not the price it is being sold for) to verify the value of the loss.
4. A copy of the carrier inspection report, if an inspection is required, or carrier written waiver of inspection.
5. A copy of the original Bill of Lading proving the shipment was made by the carrier the claim is filed against.
6. An original freight claim form, “Standard Loss and Damage Claim Form”properly completed and damages calculated.
7. Claims will be acknowledged generally within 10 days after receipt, and assigned a separate claim number.
8. Carrier will pay, decline payment, or make firm offer of compromise generally within 120 days after receipt of claim.
What Is a White Glove Delivery?
White Glove Delivery means the following services will be performed:
1) Liftgate Service, if needed
2) Inside Delivery to first floor
3) Unpack product
4) Remove Debris
The following services may be performed but are not part of the standard White Glove Service:
1) Delivery to an upper floor
2) Light assembly
3) Delivery during non-business hours
If additional services are need just ask. We are happy to accommodate!
Is it Possible to get a freight quote instantly?
Yes you can get either an LTL quote or an international freight rate instantly by clicking one of the links below:
What is Alliance Air Freight's Return Policy?
Alliance Air Freight is a service provider therefore returns of any product need to arranged by the the shipper & receiver. Shipping charges will be incurred for returning product. If a shipment is sent with one of our guaranteed services then there is no invoice to pay. However, if a value is declared or insurance is taken or there are charges after the fact, such as an attempted delivery, those will need to be paid for.